JULY 11, 2010
Timbers U-23s clinch division title with 3-1 win over Vancouver

On a sunny day at PGE Park, the Timbers U-23s would clinch their first division championship in their second season with a 3-1 win over the Vancouver Whitecaps Residency. Roberto Farban, Brent Richards, and Ricky Abrego would all score for the Timbers, while Coulton Jackson would have the lone goal for the Whitecaps.

The first good scoring chance for either team would come in the 11th minute when the Whitecaps were called for a pass back to their own keeper, so the Timbers had an indirect free kick inside the Whitecaps box. Bim Ogunyemi touched the ball quickly before Roberto Farfan took the shot, which was through the wall and past Whitecaps goalkeeper Dan Pelc, and the Timbers had a 1-0 lead.

Two minutes later, a Farfan free kick gave the Timbers another good chance, with Brent Richards getting his head on the cross, but putting it just over the bar from 10 yards. In the 16th minute, Portland's Ogenyemi produced another good chance with a run down the left side, crossing to Brian Ramsey whose point blank shot was stopped by a kick save by Pelc. Tracy Hasson got a rebound shot off but it was deflected then saved by Pelc.

Neither team really threatened again in the first half though the Timbers had some good chances late in the half on deep crosses from Ogenyumi and Richards, but the half would end with the Timbers holding a 1-0 lead.

Three minutes into the second half, the Timbers looked ready to widen the lead when a Jason Coelho cross from the left side found the foot of Ramsey only 6 yards out, but his open shot blasted well over the crossbar.

But in the 54th minute, the Timbers would find that second goal when a cross from the left side from Ogunyemi was controlled by Richards just eight yards out from goal, and the Timbers forward blasted a low shot past Pelc and into the net and the Timbers had a 2-0 lead.

One minute later, the Whitecaps nearly pulled a goal back when Gagandeep Dosangih made a nice run down the right side, but his shot from near the corner of the box was right at Portland goalkeeper Jake Gleeson and easily saved. Six minutes later, the Whitecaps had another good chance when Dosangih made a nice run to the top of the box, but his shot from 18 yards out was just wide left.

In the 64th minute, the Whitecaps would finally pull that goal back when Caleb Clarke made a run down the left side, and eventually found Coulton Jackson at the near post, who beat Gleeson to the near side, and the Whitecaps had pulled to within a goal at 2-1.

Four minutes later, the Timbers threatened again when Ricky Abrego got his head to an Ogunyemi cross, but the shot was easily stopped by Pelc. Three minute later, Abrego was again causing trouble for the Whitecaps defense when he controlled a high bouncing ball and blasted a low shot from 18 yards that was smothered by the Whitecaps keeper.

In the 76th minute, the Whitecaps had a good chance to level when a long through ball to the run of Clarke was just a few steps too far ahead of the Whitecaps midfielder and Gleeson was able to smother the ball at the edge of the box. Four minutes later, Clarke was again threatening, but his low shot from 20 yards out was smothered by Gleeson.

In the 82nd minute, the Timbers would finally put the match away when Timbers forward Quinton Beasley made a low cross near the endline that Pelc could not control, and Abrego muscled the ball into the net to give the Timbers their third goal, and would be the last threat for either team as the Timbers would hold on to win 3-1, and clinch their first ever division title.

Jake Gleeson had two saves for the Timbers in the winning effort while Dan Pelc had three saves for the Whitecaps.

(Click each pic to get a much larger picture)

Match report and all photos by Allison Andrews E-mail at

Return to the The Timber Mill