Team Match Reports
Pore scores twice in Timbers' 2-1 win over Vancouver

Whitecaps fall to defeat in Portland

Web Coverage
Pore strikes twice as Timbers survive foul-filled match

Dropping Timber
Timbers First Goal

The Province
Vancouver Whitecaps fall 2-1 in Portland

Vancouver Sun
Whitecaps fall to the Timber, losing 2-1 in Portland

APRIL 29, 2010
Shorhanded magic from Ryan Pore as Timbers top Whitecaps 2-1 in a thriller

In a match that was exciting, physical, wide open, and full of yellow cards, the Timbers would need a late shorthanded goal by Ryan Pore, his second of the match, to secure a 2-1 win over the Whitecaps in front of 5,808 at PGE Park. Nelson Akwari would record the only goal for Vancouver.

It was the visitors who had the early chances, with the first chance coming in just the second minute when defender Zurab Tsiskaridze got his head on a corner at the far Timbers post, which may have been tipped by Timbers goalkeeper Steve Cronin but was off the right post and the Timbers had difficulty clearing and seconds later, Martin Nash had a good look, but his shot from 20 yards out was easily saved by Cronin.

The Timbers first chance came in the 7th minute when had a free kick chance about 25 yards out from the Whitecaps goal, and it was Ryan Pore who took the kick, curling it over the wall and just inside the left post, off the hand of Whitecaps goalkeeper Jay Nolly, but it wasnít enough to keep the ball out, and the Timbers had the early 1-0 lead, and Pore had his fifth goal of the season in his fourth match.

But the lead was short lived, when in the 11th minute, with the Whitecaps already on their third corner kick, an outswinger by Nash found Nelson Akwari unmarked, and he made no mistake in heading the shot just inside the left post, to tie the score at 1-1.

The Whitecaps would control much of the run of play during the middle of the first half, but didnít produce any good chances, though the Timbers would have the best chance of the half when a shot from George Josten was deflected high in the box, and Timbers midfielder Brian Farber was able to get to the ball just before Nolly, but was not able to put the ball on goal, and the Whitecaps cleared.

Most of the rest of the half was the Whitecaps keeping the ball in the Timbers end, the Timbers attempting counterattacks that resulted on no shots on goal, and the center referee deciding all fouls deserved yellow cards.

Just before the half though, the Whitecaps had a great chance to take the lead when on a free kick from Zsiskaridze, the ball was headed across to Marlon James, who had a volley shot from six yards out that was over the bar. Shortly afterwards, Timbers forward OJ Obatola slipped in behind the Whitecaps defense but was at a bad angle and trying to beat the retreating Whitecaps defense and his blast from 20 yards out was over the bar, and the half would end with the teams level at 1-1.

Two minutes into the second half, the Timbers were fortunate that a Whitecaps corner kick did not rebound into the net as it went off the head of Scot Thompson, then off the chest of Mamadou Danso before going over the endline.

It would take until the 57th minute before either team would get a shot on goal, and it would be Pore again threatening for the Timbers, with a curling shot from 20 yards out that Nolly had to make a full-stretch save to keep going into the upper right corner. Shortly afterwards, the Whitecaps would get a good chance at the other end when Greg Janickiís header was just wide of the near post.

The scoring chances were coming faster now, and in the 60th minute, Portlandís Josten made a nice turn on the ball near the top of the Whitecaps box, with his dipping shot going a few yards wide right. In the 63rd minute, it was Vancouverís Wes Knight who made a nice run into the Timbers box, but his tight angle shot from 15 yards was into the side netting.

Three minutes later, the visitors would have a great chance with a free kick just outside the Timbers box, but the shot by Nash was wide left and did not threaten the Timbers goal. In the 73rd minute, second half substitute Doug DeMartin had a great chance to give the Timbers the lead when he slipped in behind the Vancouver defense, and appeared to have his jersey nearly ripped off by Tsiskaridze as he charged into the Whitecaps box, but he fought off the defender and got a shot off, that was kept out by a point blank save by Nolly.

And in the 77th minute, Nolly and Josten both charged towards a ball just outside the top of the Whitecaps box, with the Vancouver keeper just barely getting there first to clear the ball.

Then in the 85th minute, the match seemingly took a turn for the worse for Timbers fans when Portland's Danso was sent off for his second yellow card, so the Timbers would have to attempt to hold onto their lead with only 10 men.

But instead, the Timbers stayed on the attack, and it didnít take long to pay off. About a minute later, Timbers midfielder James Marcelin played a long diagonal cross into the Whitecaps box, and with only two Timbers in the box, along with five Whitecaps, it was Pore who rose above everyone and headed a shot just inside the right post past a diving Nolly, and a the rare shorthanded goal had given the Timbers a late 2-1 lead.

Within a minute, the Whitecaps would have a chance to get that goal back when Justin Moose gave the Whitecaps a great scoring chance as his dipping shot from inside the Timbers box was only kept out by a diving save from Cronin.

One minute into stoppage time, Johnny Steele had a great chance when he appeared to play a cross to him with his hand, but no infraction was called and his shot from six yards out managed to miss high. It would be the last chance of the match, and the Timbers would pull out an unlikely 2-1 win on the shorthanded goal by Pore.

Steve Cronin had three saves for the Timbers, while Jay Nolly recorded four saves for the Whitecaps.

(Click each pic to get a much larger picture)

Scarves on Timber Joey's log

Starting lineups

Ryan Pore marked by Zurab Tsiskaridze and Nelson Akwari

Pore with the free kick..

that is over the wall and into the net for a 1-0 Timbers lead

The Timbers celebrate the early goal

The Timbers Army celebrate also

OJ Obatola marked by Luca Bellisomo

Timber Joey cuts off a slice of the log for the Timbers goal

Akwari goes high for the header..

..and slips it just inside the left post to tie the score at 1-1

Brian Farber controls with ball with his chest

The bouncy PGE Park turf makes it difficult for Farber to control

Farber slides in but misses

Pore and Chris Williams wait for the ball to come down

Williams with the throw-in

Johan Claesson marked by Williams

Jay Nolly holds the ball

Nolly goes high over Obatola

George Josten chased by Tsiskaridze

Rodrigo Lopez chips the ball over Tsiskaridze

Tsiskaridze with a handful of Doug DeMartin's jersey as he charges into the Whitecaps box

Scot Thompson crosses

Rodrigo Lopez chips the ball over Tsiskaridze

Danso gets his second yellow and is ejected

Danso leaving the pitch

Pore goes high for a late cross..

..which eludes Nolly..

..and slips just inside the right post to give the Timbers a late lead

Pore celebrates.. front of the Timbers fans.. to the Timbers Army

Pore and Thompson celebrate..

..the Timbers win

Match report and all photos by Allison Andrews E-mail at

Return to the The Timber Mill