Team Match Reports
Timbers fall to Seattle in U.S. Open Cup on penalty kicks

Sounders FC Outlasts Rivals In Shootout

Web Coverage
The Timbers Army and out-of-town fans trade chants at PGE Park

U.S. Open Cup: It all comes down to one PK for Timbers, Sounders

OregonLive Timbers Blog
Timbers v. Sounders: A monumental rivalry match despite the result0

The Offside
US Open Cup: Timbers 1 Sounders 1

Soccer rivalry week: Portland Timbers come off tough loss to Seattle to face Vancouver

The Portland Mercury
Timbers Lose To Seattle On Penalty Kicks But Soccer Wins

Dropping Timber
Heartbreakingly Close! Timbers Knocked Out of US Open Cup on Penalty Kicks

Soccer by Ives
Portland-Seattle rivalry lives on in tense U.S. Open Cup match

Tacoma News Tribune
Sounders need PKs to put away Timbers

Prost Amerika Soccer
Keller Gives Graham, Scott, Nyassi and Portland Credit

Prost Amerika Soccer
Portland Timbers 1 : 1 Sounders FC (Sounders win 4-3 on penalties)

JUNE 30, 2010
Timbers knocked from Open Cup by Seattle in shootout

The Timbers hosted Seattle in the US Open Cup for the second straight year, and once again the visitors took the lead, this time on a goal by Nate Jaqua, but the Timbers would level the score before halftime on a goal by Bright Dike. But neither team would score again and the match would be decided by penalties, and the Timbers would fall 4-3 in the shootout and be knocked from the Open Cup in front of a crowd of 15,422.

Seattle would have the first deep run, with a low cross in the second minute by Sanna Nyassi being covered by Timbers goalkeeper Steve Cronin. The Timbers would get their first good chance in the 7th minute, when Bright Dike cut back from a corner run and and had a good look from near the corner of the box, but his shot was right at Kasey Keller and easily saved.

The first good scoring chance of the match for Seattle would give the visitors the lead, when in the 13th minute, a chipped pass from Nyassi found Nate Jaqua open, and he headed home the shot to put Seattle up 1-0.

Four minutes later, Portland's Ryan Pore had a good look after turning on the ball nicely after a nice chipped pass from Alex Nimo, but his shot from 15 yards out was right at Keller. One minute later, Nyassi nearly widened the lead for the visitors after controlling a cross at the far Timbers post, but James Marcelin blocked the shot before it could get to the Timbers goal.

In the 26th minute, the teams would trade good chances, first with a cross by Pore from the endline just eluding Bright Dike who was open six yards out, and then a Seattle shot by Michael Seamon from the top of the box being blocked by Ian Joy. Two minutes later, Dike made a nice run to the top of the Seattle box, but his shot was blocked wide left off a Seattle defender.

In the 32nd minute, Seattle's Jaqua had an open header from 15 yards out, but his header didn't have much on it, and Cronin was able to easily control. Two minutes later, it would be the Timbers with a chance as Marcelin's shot from 20 yards out deflected right to Pore, but his rebound shot was right at the Seattle keeper. One minute later the Timbers had another chance when a mammoth punt from Cronin was right on the foot of Pore, who made a nice turn at the top of the Seattle box, but the shot seemed too impatient quickly taken, and was well over the crossbar.

But two minutes later, the Timbers had their equalizer when Pore found Dike near the top of the box, and the Timbers forward fought off two Seattle defenders, and poked the ball inside the left post and past Keller, and the Timbers had drawn level at 1-1.

The Timbers had one more good chance before the half, with a cross off a shot corner being sent in by Nimo, and nearly snuck in behind Keller and into the net forcing a punch over the bar, but neither team threatened again and the score was level at the half.

In the 49th minute it was Dike once again causing trouble for the Seattle defense, as he was able to turn at the top of the box, but his blast was once again right at Keller and easily saved.

In the 56th minute, Seattle had a chance to double their lead when Nyassi slipped behind the defense, then chipped a charging Cronin, but whiffed on the chance at net as the Timbers defense retreated, and the Timbers survived the defensive mistake. Another defensive mistake nearly cost the Timbers six minutes later when a bad pass back to Cronin forced the Timbers keeper to attempt to clear the ball, but scuffed the clearance right to Jaqua, who made a run to the endline, but his attempted cross was blocked over the endline by Ross Smith.

In the 70th minute, the Timbers had their first good chance in while when Rodrigo Lopez's free kick was headed by Marcelin, but easily controlled by Keller. The Timbers would have an even better chance in the 73rd minute when Dike collided with Keller just outside the Seattle box, and the ball came back to Lopez, who briefly had a wide open net though 35 yards out, but his shot had way too much on it and was 5 yards over the bar.

In the 79th minute the visitors would have a great chance on a counterattack when Steve Zakuani made a nice run to the top of the box, and played a nice pass to Nyassi who ran onto the shot, but it was blocked wide by Joy.

In the 87th minute, the Timbers nearly stole a late win when Dike fought off his defender and briefly had a breakaway until Taylor Graham retreated and stopped the threat with a dangerous sliding save in the box that got enough of the ball to end the threat. Seattle had one last chance to win the match in regulation when in stoppage time, Freddie Montero took a free kick just outside the Timbers box, but was right at Cronin and easily saved, and the match would be level at 1-1 at the end of regulation.

Both teams were clearly fatigued, and there weren't many chances in the overtime, with the first good chance for either team a chipped pass to Seattle's Montero, requiring a last minute punch-out by Cronin. Then in the 99th minute, Timbers fans hearts were in their throat when a mammoth blast by James Riley from 30 yards out was fumbed by Cronin before he was able to control the ball.

Then in the 100th minute, the game would change momentum when Portland's Dike was fouled inches outside the box by Graham, earning the Seattle defender his second yellow and an ejection, and the Timbers would miss on the 18 1/2 yard free kick, but the Timbers would play the final 20 minutes with a man advantage.

The Timbers did not have many good chances to take advantage of the extra player, their best chances starting in the 111th minute when a dangerous cross was cleared at the last minute but Zach Scott, then a shot from the top of the box by Doug DeMartin being blocked off a Seattle defender. In the 120th minute, after a Timbers free kick from near the corner was barely punched, DeMartin had an open look near the far post but hit the shot into the side netting, and the match would be decided in penalties.

The tone for the penalty kicks would be set when the normally reliable Pore was saved on the first Timbers kick, then after five straight successful kicks, Smith also had his kick saved by Keller, setting up Seattle's Patrick Ianni to secure the win, but his shot was off the crossbar.

After Lopez converted for the Timbers, it was up to Scott to win it for Seattle, and his shot barely eluded Cronin's dive, just slipping inside the right post to secure the Seattle win, and once again knocking the Timbers out of the Open Cup, for the second straight year.

Kasey Keller had six saves for Seattle in the winning effort, with two even more important saves in the penalties, sending the home fans home disappointed for the second straight year.

(Click each pic to get a much larger picture)

Match report and all photos by Allison Andrews E-mail at

Return to the The Timber Mill