Team Match Reports
Thompson helps Timbers to 1-1 draw with MLS' San Jose

Web Coverage
Timbers earns come-from-behind draw with Earthquakes in preseason exhibition

The Bay Soccer
Earthquakes Earn 1-1 Draw with Portland Timbers

Portland Timbers vs. San Jose Earthquakes
March 20, 2010 at Buck Shaw Stadium, Santa Clara, California
Final score: Timbers 1, Earthquakes 1

In a pre-season match in San Jose, the Portland Timbers would give up their first goal of the preseason after a scoreless first half, when Cornell Glen scored for the San Jose Earthquakes, but Portlandís Scot Thompson would equalize nine minutes later, and would be the only goals in a 1-1 draw at Buck Shaw Stadium in San Jose, California.

San Jose would control the first few minutes, and threatened early when Andre Luiz made a deep run down the left side, with a late sliding tackle by Mamadou Danso ending the threat. Then in the 7th minute, a shot by San Joseís Arturo Alvarez from the top of the box deflected right to Timbers goalkeeper Steve Cronin and was easily saved. In the next few minutes, the Timbers would get their first good chances of the night, on a deep cross from the left side by Ryan Pore, but his dangerous follow-up cross off the ensuing corner was collected well by Earthquakes goalkeeper Andrew Weber.

In the 13th minute, Timbers defender Quevas Kirk (who came forward often) made a nice cross from the right side, but a header by George Josten was a few yards wide left. Five minutes later, the Earthquakes nearly gifted the Timbers the lead when a bad back pass forced Weber to make a bad clearance, which was right to Pore, 30 yards from goal, but the Timbers midfielder could not control the hard clearance quickly enough to have a chance to have a chance at the open net.

In the 29th and 32nd minutes, the Earthquakes had dangerous runs into the box go unfinished when the San Jose forwards were unable to control the ball on the wet, slippery grass, with the first going over the touchline, and the second being smothered by Cronin.

In the 42nd minute, the Earthquakes had the best scoring chance of the first half when Bobby Conveyís 25 yard blast was headed for the top left corner but was tipped wide but a full diving save by Cronin. Then just before the halftime whistle, the Timbers had a good chance of their own when a Josten header off a corner kick was a yard or so over the crossbar, and the teams went into the locker room in a 0-0 tie.

Early in the second half, Pore would get a good look for the Timbers from near the top of the box, but his shot to the bottom left corner was stopped by a nice diving save by Weber. Seven minutes later, Pore had another good chance as he appeared a step ahead of his defender as he charged towards the top of the box, but once again the slick grass was a problem as he slipped and controlled the ball with his hand, ending the threat.

In the 65th minute, the Earthquakes thought they had taken the lead but the goal was ruled offside. One minute later, the home side had a great chance when a nice pass on a diagonal through ball from Ramiro Corrales to Cornell Glen could not be controlled when the San Jose striker appeared to be set up for an open shot on net.

Four minutes later, the Timbers had a great chance of their own when James Marcelin had a good look from the top of the box, but fellow striker OJ Obatola ran into his path and the shot defected off his teammate and over the endline.

In the 71st minute, the Earthquakes broke the Timbers 341 minute shutout streak when Glen made a run to the top of the box, and his low shot was fumbled by Cronin and into the net to give San Jose a 1-0 lead.

The lead wouldnít last long, as nine minutes later, the Timbers evened the score when a free kick from near the corner by Rodrigo Lopez was headed just inside the right post by defender Scot Thompson, who had only entered five minutes earlier, and the score was level at 1-1.

Each team had a chance to take the win before the final whistle, with San Joseís Omar Jessey putting an open header wide left, and Portlandís Marcelin also missing left off a free kick, and in the end, the two second half goals would be the only goals of the match as the teams finished in a 1-1 draw.

Return to The Timber Mill