Timbers keep it close for awhile, but fall 4-1 to Seattle
May 5, 2002 at Memorial Stadium, Seattle, Washington
(Click on any match photo for an uncropped (~300K) version of each pic)

Keith Costigan throws in to McKinley Tennyson
14' - Seattle: Brian Ching (Nate Daligcon)
54' - Portland: McKinley Tennyson (penalty)
76' - Seattle: Jason Farrell
87' - Seattle: Darren Sawatzky (Brian Ching)
89' - Seattle: Craig Tomlinson (Leighton O'Brien)

The Timbers played surprisingly well for much of the game as they played the second game of a home and home series with the Sounders. But in the end the injury bug continued to plague the Timbers early in the season, and after keeping the game close for the first 85 minutes, the Timbers allowed two late goals and ended up on the short end of a 4-1 score at Memorial Stadium in Seattle in front of a crowd of 2,756. Brian Ching, Darren Sawatzky, Craig Tomlinson, and Jason Farrell all scored for the Sounders while McKinley Tennyson had the lone Timbers goal on a penalty kick in the 54th minute.

The Sounders had the momentum in the first few minutes of play, and in just the 3rd minute a Darren Sawatzky shot from 20 yards out forced a diving save by Timbers goalkeeper Matt Napoleon that he couldn't control, but which was cleared by the defense. In the 8th minute, the Sounders had a good chance in front of the net after a corner kick, when Zach Kingsley volleyed a slow shot up and off the crossbar, but McKinley Tennyson was able to get control of the bouncing ball and clear the ball out of danger. But in the 14th minute, the Seattle carpet came into play, and it ended up costing the Timbers a goal, and their central defender.

A misplayed ball along the sideline seemed to be ready to be cleared out of danger by Timbers defender Gavin Wilkinson, who moved across to trap the loose ball. But as he went to trap the ball, his cleats appeared to catch on the carpet and he stumbled over the ball, which allowed Sounders defender Nate Daligcon to get to it first as it resulted in a 2 on 1 break for the Sounders. Daligcon played a perfect cross to Brian Ching, who buried the shot inside the right post to put the Sounders up 1-0. Wilkinson would leave the game shortly afterward.

Gavin Wilkinson flips the ball away from Brian Ching

After the Sounders goal, the Timbers took over the momentum and controlled play for the rest of the half. In the 20th minute, after a free kick, the ball came back out to Timbers midfielder Sean McAuley, who struck a hard shot from 25 yards out the was saved nicely by Sounders goalkeeper Preston Burpo. In the 28th minute, after a scramble in front of the net, Timbers midfielder Ben Somoza was able to turn on the ball and hit a well stuck shot from near the top of the box, but the shot was directly into Burpo's chest. Three minutes later, Timbers defender Keith Costigan played a free kick into the box onto the head of Tennyson, but we met at the same time by Burpo who punched the ball out, but lost his balance in the process. But Timbers midfielder Jake Sagare hit the follow up shot over the crossbar.

In the 37th minute, Sagare made a nice chip into the run of Timbers midfielder Hugo Alcaraz-Cuellar, who had slipped in behind the defender and appeared about to have a breakaway from about 35 yards out, but Alcaraz-Cuellar was taken down hard from behind by Leighton O'Brien, who took a yellow card for the tackle, but effectively stopped the breakaway from happening.

The Timbers had the last good chance of the half in the 44th minute when Tennyson's header from 10 yards out went wide left. The Timbers went into the locker room down 1-0, but seemingly with momentum on their side.

The Timbers continued to play well early in the 2nd half, and in the 54th minute their pressing paid off when Seattle defender Ryan Edwards played the ball with his hand and the Timbers were awarded a penalty kick. Tennyson buried the kick into the bottom left corner of the net, and the match was deadlocked at 1-1.

Jake Sagare goes over Zach Kingsley for the header

But the momentum began to swing back in favor of the home team by this point. In the 58th minute, Ching almost gave the Sounders the lead back when he found himself briefly open from 15 yards out, but his shot went well wide to the right. In the 70th minute, Seattle's Kingsley had an open look at a header from only 6 yards out, but his header went barely wide right.

But in the 76th minute, the Sounders took the lead when after a scramble in front of the Timbers net, the ball had apparently been cleared out of danger by a bicycle kick by Timbers defender Brent Sancho. But the ball did not go out far enough, and a quick move and shot by Jason Ferrell seemed to catch the Timbers off guard, and the shot was perfectly placed into the top right corner and the Sounders had their one goal lead back as they led 2-1.

The Timbers tired to push forward again to get the equalizer, and in the 80th minute, a Chugger Adair chip to the foot of Tennyson had the Timbers threatening until Burpo blocked the ball right off Tennyson's foot, and the ball was cleared by the Seattle defense. In the 83rd minute the Timbers had another good opportunity when Adair played a short through ball to a charging Tennyson, but his shot from 10 yards at an angle to the right went harmlessly into the right side netting.

But in the 87th minute, the Sounders finally put the match out of reach after O'Brien made a nice cross that Ching headed to Sawatzky, who hit a hard header from 10 yards out that deflected off Timbers defender Scott Benedetti's head as he challenged Sawatzky, but not enough to keep it out of the net as it went just under the crossbar to give the Sounders a 3-1 lead.

The Timbers had one last good chance to score in the 90th minute for the second straight night, an Adair header went off the crossbar, but the Timbers were once again unable to score on a follow-up. The Sounders put the finishing touch on the blowout in the 90th minute when O'Brien found a charging Craig Tomlinson, who placed another well placed shot just inside the right post to give the Sounders a 4-1 win, and advance in the US Open Cup on a 6-1 aggregate score.

Kieran Barton with Chugger Adair trailing
Time: Sunday, May 5, 2002. 5:00 pm PDT
Venue: Memorial Stadium, Seattle, Washington
Weather: 46 degrees, windy
Attendance: 2,756


Sagare (19')
O'Brien (37')
Tackle from behind
Costigan (72')
Hard tackle

Tennyson's header was just wide
Portland (4-4-2)
(Green and white stiped jersey, White shorts, White socks)
Chugger AdairMcKinley Tennyson
Ben SomozaBrian WintersSean McAuleyHugo Alcaraz (Rees Bettinger 78')
Keith CostiganScott BenedettiGavin Wilkinson (Jake Sagare 16')Brent Sancho (Noah Delgado 85')
Matt Napoleon
Craig Smith, Vadim Tolstolutsky
Seattle (4-4-2)
(Red jersey with black trim, Red shorts, Red socks)
Brian Ching (Kyle Smith 89')Darren Sawatzky
Zach Kingsley (Craig Tomlinson 77')Andrew Gregor (Zach Scott 81')Leighton O'BrienJason Farrell
Kieran BartonScott JenkinsRyan EdwardsNate Daligcon (Viet Nguyen 46')
Preston Burpo
Rich Cullen, David Hernandez, Greg Foisie, Chad Brown
Kingsley hit the crossbar with this volley
Hugo Alcaraz-Cuellar is unable to control this cross
Tennyson scores on the penalty kick
Barton goes over Adair to clear with a header
Alcaraz-Cuellar controls within a trio of Sounders defenders
Sean McAuley chased by Nate Daligcon
Match report and all photos by Allison Andrews

Back to the Timber Rattlers main page