Team Match Reports
Timbers shutout NSC Minnesota 1-0 in road win

Web Coverage
Portland 1, Minnesota 0: Pore's penalty kick all the Timbers need

Portland Tribune
Ryan Pore's PK gives Timbers 1-0 victory at Minnesota

Dropping Timber
Timbers Beat Minnesota 1-0 in Big Road Victory

AUGUST 21, 2010
Ryan Pore PK all the Timbers need in 1-0 win in Minnesota

The Portland Timbers traveled to Minnesota on Saturday night, knowing they needed to carry the momentum from last week’s win in St. Louis. And after a hard-fought pretty level match for the first 68 minutes, a 68th minute penalty kick by Ryan Pore after Bright Dike had been taken down in the box by Minnesota goalkeeper Joe Warren would be the difference as the Timbers held on for a 1-0 win in front of 1,429 at the National Sports Center in Blaine, Minnesota. Portland‘s Matt Pyzdrowski would get the shutout in goal in his first league start. This was the third time in four matches vs. Minnesota that one team would end the match down a player, the first two being the two matches this year in Portland when the Timbers lost a player to a red card in each.

Shots on goal would be few and far between on this night in Blaine, but the Timbers would have an early chance in the 3rd minute when Bright Dike made a nice move to get to the endline, then was able to attack into the box and dropped a pass to a charging Keith Savage but the ball rebounded out and was cleared by the Stars defense. In the sixth minute, Minnesota had their first good chance when Scott Lorenz made a nice run down the left side, but his tight angle shot was blocked by a retreating Mamadou Danso.

The Timbers threatened again in the 15th minute when a Ryan Pore free kick found the head of Danso in the box as the defender rose well, but Minnesota goalkeeper Joe Warren was able to break up the attempt and recover the ball.

In the 24th minute, Minnesota’s Simone Bracalello made a nice run to the top of the Timbers box, and his low blast forced a diving save from goakleeper Matt Pyzdrowski, who was making his first league start. Only one minute, later, it would be the Timbers with a good chance, but after a corner kick, and a follow-up cross, Timbers defender Steve Purdy would head the ball out to Ibad Muhamadu, who was open at the top of the box, but flubbed badly with his full volley attempt.

In the 30th minute, Minnesota’s Melvin Tarley would take advantage of a bad bounce to get in behind the Portland defense, but his attempted blast from 20 yards out as the Portland defense retreated was just wide right. Six minutes later, the hosts would have their best chance of the half as Bracalello turned on the ball from 30 yards out and his blast forced a reaction save from Pyzdrowski as tipped the ball over the crossbar.

In the 42nd minute, the Timbers had a few good chances in front of the Minnesota goal as Warren used a kick save to block a close-in shot by Dike, and a rebound shot going wide right.

Just before the end of the half, the Stars would have a good chance as Tarley made a run down the right side, and his blast from 15 yards was right at the Timbers keeper but was a blistering shot that Pyzdrowski had to knock down, and bounced high before he was able to collect it and end the threat, and it would a 0-0 draw at the half.

Just as in the first half, the team attacking the north end would get a dangerous baseline run three minutes into the half, but this time it was Minnesota’s Tarley making the run, and his pass rebounded around inside the Timbers crease before finally being cleared. Only a few minutes later, a Timbers free kick 30 yards from goal provided a good chance as Takayuki Suzuki delivered a perfect ball to the far post, but Dike’s header was just over the crossbar.

But the match would change in the 66th minute, when Dike stole the ball from Lorenz at midfield, and broke in totally alone for the long run to the Minnesota goal. Near the top of the box, Dike pushed the ball left past Warren and though he appeared to possibly tap it too hard forward, Warren took down Dike inside the box with the ball having already passed, so the center referee pointed to the spot, and also pulled out a red card as Warren was ejected.

Pore stepped up to take the penalty against backup keeper Matthew VanOekel, and the Minnesota backup would go the wrong way, and Pore would finish into the right side of the net to give the Timbers a 1-0 lead.

With the man advantage, the Timbers would control the rest of the match, and in the 72nd minute another nice cross from Suzuki again found the head of Dike, with the forward’s header this time forcing a nice save by VanOekel. In the 75th minute, the Stars would have their best chance to level when a nice pass by Ely Allen found Daniel Wasson open and ready to unload from the top of the box, but Danso slid into the shot and partially blocked it, with Purdy heading the rebound clear.

The Timbers nearly equaled their 2-0 win earlier this year when five minutes from time, a shot by Pore from the top of the Stars box was stopped but not controlled by the Stars keeper, but he recovered to make a nice reaction save on the rebound attempt by Suzuki.

In stoppage time, former Timbers U23 player Warren Ukah had the last chance for the Stars when he was nearly able to turn inside the Timbers box, but his shot was blocked by Purdy and cleared, and the Timbers had their second straight shutout on the road with the 1-0 win. With the win, the Timbers finish their USL days in Minnesota undefeated in their last 11 matches there, with 3 wins and 8 draws since a 1-0 loss on July 25, 2003.

Matt Pyzdrowski had four saves in the shutout, while Joe Warren and Matthew VanOekel split four saves for the Stars.

(Click each pic to get a much larger picture)

Match report and all photos by Allison Andrews E-mail at

Return to the The Timber Mill

llison Andrews E-mail at

Return to the The Timber Mill